The FDA has established guidelines to protect women, and they note obtaining the abortion pill online could be detrimental to your health. Ordering the abortion pill online seems like a quick and easy solution to an unplanned pregnancy, but it comes with significant risks. Here’s what you may want to know.
The Abortion Pill Method
The abortion pill is also known as medication abortion, an abortion method that terminates a pregnancy. Medication abortion uses two different types of drugs: mifepristone and misoprostol. It’s important to note that these abortion drugs are only for women up to 10 weeks pregnant.
Mifepristone (the first pill) thins the lining of the uterus and prevents the embryo from implanting or growing. Then, misoprostol (the second pill) is taken, which makes the uterus contract and expel all contents of the pregnancy.
Risks of the abortion pill method include:
- Incomplete abortion, which may need to be followed by surgical abortion
- An ongoing pregnancy if the procedure doesn’t work
- Heavy and prolonged bleeding
- Digestive system discomfort
What Are the Risks of Ordering Online?
There are serious risks to ordering the abortion pill online. Some of the common risks include:
- Certain providers use unverified chemicals in the drugs used for the abortion.
- The lack of a pre-abortion screening process – puts women’s health in danger.
- An unverified dosage could lead to an incomplete abortion and life-threatening effects.
- Unlisted risks and side effects with abortion pills ordered online since many are overseas and do not meet the FDA guidelines.
Verify Your Pregnancy Details
In the United States, 10-20% of pregnancies end in miscarriage. If you are considering an abortion, it is important to determine the pregnancy’s viability (growth) before deciding on an invasive medical procedure that may not be necessary. Start with a pregnancy test to be sure, followed by an ultrasound. We can provide you with education and information on abortion and all your options.
Schedule a no-cost appointment today. We are here for you!